Post Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:36 pm

Call your supporters to order, Jonathan tells Buhari

BY DANIEL IDONOR
Youths protesting against the Presidential Election Results.jpg
Youths protesting against the Presidential Election Results at U/ Sarki, Kaduna. Photo by OLU AJAYI.

ABUJA - PRESIDENT Goodluck Jonathan, Monday, expressed sadness over the sporadic violent protests in parts of the country, over results of Saturday’s Presidential election and urged his rival, Gen. Muhammadu Buhari, to as a matter of national security, call his supporters to order to avoid further destruction of lives and property.
The President described the violence that greeted the results of the presidential election, which is globally acclaimed as freer and fairer than the June 12, 1993 election as unnecessary.

In a statement, President Jonathan appealed to politicians that Nigeria and indeed Nigerians have made enormous sacrifice to ensure free and fair election and cannot afford another loss.

Below is the full text of the statement:

“My Dear Countrymen and Women,

I have received with great sadness the news of sporadic unrest in some parts of the country which are not unconnected with last Saturday’s elections.

I appeal to those involved to stop this unnecessary and avoidable conduct, more so at this point in time when a lot of sacrifice has been made by all the citizens of this great country in ensuring the conduct of free and fair elections.

All of us are further encouraged by the comments of the independent election monitors and observers both domestic and international on how transparent and credible the elections have been so far.

Therefore, it is with the deepest sense of responsibility that I call on all our political leaders especially the contestants to appeal to their supporters to stop further violence in the interest of stability, peace and well being of this great country.

We must not allow for the loss of any life and as I have always said, no one’s political ambition is worth the blood of any Nigerian.

Please remain calm, law abiding and patriotic at this very crucial moment of our history.

Thank you and God Bless Nigeria!”

Source: http://www.vanguardngr.com/2011/04/call ... ls-buhari/
Attachments
The Emir of Zazzau Alhaji Shehu Idris resident.jpg
The Emir of Zazzau Alhaji Shehu Idris resident set ablaze at U/ Sarki Kaduna by the angry youths. Photo by OLU AJAYI
Not defined by levels, classified by elevating heights.